Ever-welcoming and always fascinating, Japan is a land of ancient cultures, austere traditions and groundbreaking technology. Join us on this ultimate journey that takes you from futuristic, neon-lit Tokyo to the dense forests of the southern island of Yakushima; from sacred temples in Nikko, Kyoto and Kotohira to feasts at a Takayama market. Be wowed by the creativity of modern art at Naoshima Island, make a sobering visit to Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and try for an Indiana Jones stunt crossing the vine bridge at Iya Valley. Discover ancient castles, lush countryside and fascinating feudal history on this authentic 24-day adventure.
- Nikko – Toshogu Shrine
- Hakone – Cable car/Ropeway
- Hakone – Lake Ashinoko boat cruise
- Takayama – Hida Folk Village
- Takayama – Market visit
- Takayama – Sake brewery tasting
- Hiroshima – Peace Park & A – Bomb Dome
- Hiroshima – Peace Museum
- Hiroshima – Miyajima Island
- Himeji – Himeji Castle
- Kyoto – Temple/Shrine entrance (2)
- Kyoto – Gion District walk
- Takamatsu – Ritsurin Garden & Sanuki Folkcraft Museum
- Takamatsu – Naoshima day trip (ferry, public bus & bicycle)
- Kotohira – Kompira-san
- Iya Valley – Kazura-bashi (vine bridge), Nagoro “Scarecrow” Village & Buke Yashiki samurai house
- Matsuyama – Matsuyama Castle
- Nagasaki – tram day pass
- Nagasaki – Peace Park & Atomic Bomb Museum
- Yakushima – Local dinner
- Yakushima – Shiratani Unsuikyo National Park hiking
- There’s no better way to get around Japan than the country’s famous railway system. Be impressed by the efficiency and ultra-modernity as you zip from place to place with your included Japan Rail Pass. Here is why you don’t want to miss train travel in Japan: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/adventures/japan-trains
- Explore the unique island of Naoshima, transformed from a sleepy fishing community into a world-class art destination, with sleek and stylish museums and artworks that sit in harmony with the landscape.
- Feel like Indiana Jones as you cross the kazurabashi (vine bridges) of the hidden Iya Valley, a remote retreat of deep gorges and lush mountains on Shikoku island.
- Uncover the characters of the cities of Nagasaki and Osaka, from the former’s thought-provoking Peace Park and Museum to the latter’s busy streets where the motto is ‘eat until you drop’.
- Venture into the thick and mysterious cedar forests on Yakushima, relax at the seaside onsen or see giant turtles lay eggs in the night in the summer months.
Tokyo - Nikko
Miyajima - Hiroshima
Naoshima - Takamatsu
Iya Valley - Matsuyama
Looking for more information?
We're here to help!
Click on the buttons below to request a quote on this deal or contact us directly with further questions or comments.
Request A Quote Send To A Friend Have A Question? Contact Us